As we have gone through our library classes and met at
various high schools, one thing I have noticed is that some of the school
libraries are genrefied. This is not an actual word, and yet I bet you know
exactly what I mean when I say it. Essentially, instead of following Mr.
Dewey’s system for organizing and shelving books, you go rogue and organize
them by genre. I talked to our school librarian about this last year, and at
first she was hesitant. I think the logistics overwhelmed her, in particular
what to do if a book qualifies as several different genres (e.g. Twilight =
fantasy & romance). She has, however, succumbed to the overwhelming
circulation numbers of our county’s school libraries which are genrified, and she is
making the change this summer. I can’t wait to see how it works with our
struggling and apathetic readers!
Here are some links that discuss why you should consider
this method (cough, cough, higher circulation) and how to get started.
“Are Dewey’s Days Numbered?” – School Library Journal Article (2012)
Un-Deweying a School Library Wiki
Un-Deweying a School Library Wiki
Genre-fying Your Library’s Fiction Collection – Public Libraries Online Article (2015)
I keep hearing about improved circulation numbers after genrefication, but one of the schools in our district switched and did not see an increase. This makes me think it's more than just the genrefication that is making a difference. I am one to worry about the Twilight problem. Keep us posted on your results! You must have an infectious excitement to have convinced your school's librarian! :D
ReplyDeleteHa! She actually came to the decision on her own, though I'm sure the other librarian and I helped... I wonder if the librarians in that school you mentioned had totally bought into the genrification, or how they promoted the new set-up in terms of signage.
DeleteThe library I will be working at in the fall genrified about 2 years ago and everyone loves it! It was quiet a bit of work but worth it. I think it also has to do with the librarians and promoting it.
ReplyDelete