Monday, June 13, 2016

Library Book Clubs

Something I would like to learn about is having library book clubs. I am familiar with the two book clubs my school library currently participates in Cafe Book (http://www.librarypoint.org/cafe_book) and Virginia Reader's Choice (https://www.vsra.org/vrc/).  These two book clubs already have specific books chosen for students to read.

I would like to create a book club that is specific to the needs / interests of the students. An idea that really interests me is how to start a book club to include parents or other community members. For example, I would like to begin a program where teens could pair up with a strong mentor from the community. At an elementary level, college students enrolled an Education program could volunteer and pair up with students. I think this experience would be extremely valuable for students who may not have a positive adult role model. Having parent-student book clubs could also be a great way to help parents bond with their child.

While I was  searching for information, I also became intrigued by the thought of incorporating technology into a book club. As mentioned on the site ilovelibraries (http://www.ilovelibraries.org/article/librarians-reimagine-book-clubs-help-technology) having an online book club can help issues of time constraints or students who may not be able to get a ride home after school. The students can participate in the club with their phones either by posting to a blog or even using FaceTime.

Here are some other sites I found helpful in creating book clubs:
http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2015/12/11/teen-book-clubs-library/
http://educationblog.oup.com/primary/your-guide-to-starting-a-book-club-in-your-school

I would love to hear about anyone else's experience with setting up a unique book club in your library!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of an online book club - it could be asynchronous to meet the needs of busy students and staff! I may try this with our community's book club, since we can never seem to find a time for all of us to meet. While it would mean less face-to-face social interaction, I think you'd attract the type of students who prefer to hide behind a digital mask. In fact, you could one live and one online, to satisfy everyone! There would have to be an understanding about spoiler alerts, of course - maybe a discussion thread for each chapter so as not to freak people out. Great idea, though - thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great information. I like the idea of having a book club that uses both face-to-face and online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the info on the Cafe books. I will be looking at that. We have that at the school I will be going to in the fall and I need more information on it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.